View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #98
James_Smith
Banned User

Default Re: News & Discussion Thread - Part 3

Also, these quotes strongly suggest that he considers Origins canon:

Quote:
“It’s set after ‘X-Men 3,’ but I wouldn’t call it a sequel to ‘X-Men 3.’ You have a choice the second you enter a world like this with... three movies, a ‘Wolverine’ origin movie … You have decide where you’re going to exist in relation to all these"

“For me, watching this decade of superhero films and having not participated while I was making other movies, what was interesting to me – and it had not been done, with a few exceptions – was to be free to tell a real story of an immortal character. Too often these films are burdened with origin stories that produce a very unwieldy script, because you spend half the film creating the character and then you only have half the film to then tell a story about the character. When stepping into a franchise, one of the scary things – for a person in my position – is that it’s like directing the fourth episode of a TV series, and everything is on autopilot. They’re doing what they’re going to do, and what are you really going to bring to it?”

“What I felt like I hadn’t seen as a comic book fan, was I felt I hadn’t seen Logan and his rage. That sense of darkness. Without getting into the ‘Wolverine’ movie, which is an origin story, with the ‘X-Men’ movies he’s part of a team, so he gets little scenelets, but they’re essentially team movies. The liberty I have making a film like this is I can find him. I’m not cutting away to catch you up on any of the Thunderbird team members. It’s his emotional experience, his trajectory, his sense of loss, and his own ambivalence about his powers and talents.”