View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #707
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
I'm not even sure that would count as a battle. More like two crippled old goats hitting head on.

Victarion is going to tear **** up! I hate the man, but I he gets **** done lol.

Oh and I really wish GRRM would change it up and stop dragging chapters out and then ending on a cliffhanger right as things get good . He said in interviews that he learned that technique in TV as a way of getting viewers to stick around through the commercial break because they wanted to see what happened. The problem is that some chapters meander for the first 2/3 and then end as things are getting good and then this character won't show up for a hundred pages and when they do the good stuff is over and we are reading the aftermath. I wouldn't mind it every once in a while but for every freaking chapter it is annoying. He doesn't have to get me to stick around every single time. I'm reading his book already and I ain't going anywhere. It makes for a very choppy pace.

ADWD felt like a book of cliffhangers and I got tired of waiting a hundred pages or more to see what happened to a character so I mapped out the chapters and came up with a chapter order I could better enjoy. Not saying GRRM is wrong. It is his books, but for my own enjoyment I had to tweak it a bit.
If it makes you feel any better.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Barristan's chapter was not like that. It was more of a tension builder of him readying the troops while diseased ridden bodies exploded all around them. It was kind of a reflection chapter for him, which makes me wonder if he's going to make it back to Westeros or not.