View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #376
SpitCurl
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Look of the Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
Since Avatar, the presentation of Hulk being continually refined over the last few movies, the work on LotR, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I'm not terribly concerned about the turtles' looks with regard to the CGI quality. It'll also come down to the design of the turtles themselves. Textures and color choices can make or break them, regardless of how good the effects are. There's also the cinematography. Looking at the 1990 film, or the gameplay from the upcoming release, they look amazing in a gritty setting with somewhat low levels of lighting.

As for the look and design, I'm hoping for something along the lines of the current IDW run.
Oh, I'm sure the CG will look fine and as photo-real as the tech will allow. But I'll still be aware that what I'm seeing is CG, and in that sense, I do wish they'd incorporate live-action elements instead of settling for mo-cap wholesale. It's the "just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should" argument and has nothing to do with artistry, per se.

Avatar, Hulk, Caesar, etc were all top-notch effects, and I enjoyed them, but, think for a moment of the visceral difference if (using some bleeding-edge suit/animatronic technology which no one is working on, because why bother?) the Hulk as you saw him was a mostly-in-camera effect. He'd go from being well-rendered CG that you'd gladly suspend your disbelief for to a pants-sh**ingly real, terrifying creature in a second.

It's like that scene with the jeeps in Jurassic Park where, just knowing that (part of the time) an actual, extraordinarily-large and heavy machine with sharp-looking claws and teeth was hovering over the set made it that much more tense whereas the fight at the end was mostly just spectacle.

That's all I'm saying. it's easier suspending disbelief over a humanoid turtle doing backflips and cracking jokes when there's a humanoid turtle doing backflips and cracking jokes vs. a computer model of one, and I wish filmmakers would remember that and at least try. Maybe by the time the sequels are in development we'll finally breach the uncanny valley and you won't have any idea whether it's in-camera or not, but we aren't there yet.