View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #258
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: The Joker (The Dark Knight) vs. Bane (TDKR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanGoesToRio View Post
Even in the comic books Gotham often looked like a usual big American city. Especially in the 70s comics it often reminds me of New Yor City.

But in the context of the trilogy it just doesn't work. BB introduced that dirty "Blade Runner" style dump of a city. You could feel the crime and corruption in every scene Gotham was shown. And then they switched to this clean and usual American city.

I dig the style of BB so I was disappointed of TDK's and TDKR's Gotham.
I feel only the set of the Narrows has that style of a "dump", and then that small snippet of the hobo-looking Bruce overhearing Rachel and Finch talking, but that's about it. All other places, we are given the Chicago Gotham City. And we still see the Gordon's place in TDK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
I didn't like how TDKR just dropped Chicago out of the blue. That didn't make any sense. For years since 2005, Nolan was like "Chicago is the perfect Gotham", then in 2011 and 2012 it's all "Gotham is naturally New York".

A bulk/majority of the locations seem to be in Pittsburgh and LA anyway, so yeah, pretty strange. Pretty much a far cry from what was shown in Batman Begins. I always loved the grittiness of the city. The graffiti, the hazed, the rust colored look, the rain. It was great, they nailed the look there from the Narrows to central Gotham (where Bruce looks like a hooded bum, listening to conversations). It looked like a completely different city and world compared to later films. Atleast The Dark Knight was still in Chicago like Begins though. It was sort of like the jump from the Anton Furst Gotham from '89 (probably my favorite Gotham, Begins following second) to the Bo Welch Gotham. The two looked completely different. Returns even had that same atmospheric, blue glow cinematography that The Dark Knight has.

Then of course TDKR had the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers in a Batman movie. That will never sit right with me.
Lol...is there anything you DID like in TDKR? All you do is badmouth the film, and you're the only one I know on here that just badmouths the film. At least guys like The Joker has parts of the film they do like, lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote