View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #784
Chewy
REDACTED

Default Re: Who should be the villain in an Avengers sequel? (Poll)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Hmmm... when I look at Civil War Tony Stark and Ultron I see very similar characters, as far as function. There is definitely something really bad there to deconstruct. That's a full interesting story, as far as I can tell. And I've never seen Pym destroyed, except in Ultimates, where he didn't even need Ultron to destroy himself, and that makes sense, because as a rule, an episodic series doesn't character assassinate a beloved character. Those are the letters that won't go away. So characters always find redemption, as Pym has. If the Ultron story is what you say, that could be mind blowing, and very bold , but I'm not sure that it is that.
Yeah but Movie Tony Stark is not Civil War Tony Stark, and turning him into that is a good way to kill his popularity. Those are the kind of extremes that they'll want to avoid with their leads.

Pym's implosion was a slow build in the comics, and it happened over the course of many Ultron appearances over many years. You're right that there was no specific "Ultron goes bad and suddenly Pym's life goes to hell" story, but that was what the stories built to, along with his gradually decomposing mental state. And I assume a film would adapt the same structure, while obviously condensing it. It's right up Whedon's wheelhouse - think Wesley in Angel. And yes, Pym ultimately finds redemption, but it takes a while, which it wouldn't for Stark.

Last edited by Chewy; 04-01-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote