View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #584
OutRiddled
Banned User

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanGoesToRio View Post
My thoughts are that Nicholson was too old, too fat and too famous for playing the Joker. Joker is some of the characters that should always be bigger than the actor is.
He wasn't old, he was middle-aged, and he wasn't fat. Why are you so obsessed with looks, anyway? It's the performance that matters. Nobody thought Heath Ledger would make a good Joker because he was too young and looked like a pretty boy. Everybody was gunning for Crispin Glover.

But when Jack had the Joker makeup on - he was Joker, no question. I never saw Jack, only Joker. You must have been watching a different movie.

Jack Nicholson puts a lot of research into his roles, he is not the most celebrated actor of all time for nothing, you know. Even Bob Kane himself thought he was the perfect Joker. His performance was seamless. Even dancing to Prince songs, he was 100% Joker.
Quote:
And they made some mistakes storywise: I still don't like it that they gave him a certain name and a definite origin story, I don't like even more that he died at the end of B89 and I truely hate it that they made Pre-Joker Napier the murderer of Bruce's parents.
The falling in chemicals storyline had been around since the 1940s, when they first published Joker's origin. They've since retconned it, but that was his canon origin.

What's wrong with Joker having a name?

Why not have Joker die? So he can come back for sequels? He even died in one comic - The Dark Knight Returns (Batman broke his ****ing neck).

As for being the murderer of Bruce's parents... I don't get what is the big deal, but that's a discussion which has already been done to death.

Quote:
Jack's Joker was pretty good, though. And there are plenty of scenes with him I still enjoy very much. But B89's Joker was far from perfect. As was TDK's Joker - but for other reasons.
No interpretation is ever going to be perfect.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote