View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #793
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Who should be the villain in an Avengers sequel? (Poll)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Yeah but Movie Tony Stark is not Civil War Tony Stark, and turning him into that is a good way to kill his popularity. Those are the kind of extremes that they'll want to avoid with their leads.

Pym's implosion was a slow build in the comics, and it happened over the course of many Ultron appearances over many years. You're right that there was no specific "Ultron goes bad and suddenly Pym's life goes to hell" story, but that was what the stories built to, along with his gradually decomposing mental state. And I assume a film would adapt the same structure, while obviously condensing it. It's right up Whedon's wheelhouse - think Wesley in Angel. And yes, Pym ultimately finds redemption, but it takes a while, which it wouldn't for Stark.
I mean, if the fall is condensed, why wouldn't the redemption? I see where you're coming from, and if Wright focuses Pym AND doesn't making a sequel, it works, otherwise, the fall has no power and too much setup and ruins Pyms solo franchise by making him, essentially, a villain. And that's kinda the point of Stark!Ultron that you would explore Civil War Tony in Ultron, and the dark of Tony would be explored without Tony actually doing anything wrong. It'd be like a cleaner Tower of Babel thing... the more I think about it, the more it sounds like something they would do to me. It makes Tony look more awesome, but still guiltless.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote