View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #78
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bane's place in the rogues gallery post-Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Eh, there was never really the fear there with Ra's that "this guy could actually beat the crap out of Batman". As the guy who trained Bruce, he was naturally a worthy opponent for him, but you never had that visceral sense of brutality, nor was it called for in the story.
I guess we saw two different movies, because I saw Bruce get his butt kicked twice by Ra's. He may not have the brutality of Bane, but he was a physical threat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Exactly. Ra's also used swords as well. Weapons. As for Joker, he was a dirty fighter. Using dogs, and nets, and metal bars to pummel Batman while he was down.
It doesn't matter what you use, if you can't defend yourself against it, your opponent is a physical threat to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
And the physical threat is used because Bane is someone that ended up breaking Batman, period. While Ra's al Ghul and Joker used weapons in fighting Batman, they still had never been able to 'Break the Bat' as Bane did.
Bane, Ra's and Joker have different styles, but they all ended up kicking Batman's butt. I don't agree that you actually have to "break" someone to be a "physical threat". The Joker stabbed him, which could've killed Batman. In my opinion, that person is a "physical threat" to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
We say it because it's true.
It depends on what your definition of it is. In all 3 movies, Batman got handled, something I didn't like. But when people say that he hasn't had a "physical threat", that isn't accurate.

I understand where you guys are coming from in terms of "looks" or what you know about the villans, but to dismiss Ra's Al Ghul as a "physical threat" is pretty ridiculous. But I guess it's been a pet peeve of mine that people are throwing around the term "physical threat" a little loosely. If Batman easily won every fight until Bane, I'd agree. But he didn't.

Last edited by RAINMAKER; 04-03-2013 at 09:23 PM.
RAINMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote