View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #47
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by semper View Post
That's kind of ridiculous.

To me, Luke Cage's problem has nothing to do with him being black. It's because his powers are kind of boring (invulnerable/strong), he's got no interesting visual concept (ie a great costume), and there's really not much "hook" to sell him as a unique character. He's basically a tough guy that beats up street level drug dealers. He hasn't even got an interesting rogues gallery. He might work in tandem with Iron Fist, but I'm not sure he's a strong enough solo concept.
As I've said many times before, I think it's far better to have a Power Man and Iron Fist movie than just solo outings for both. Neither are really quite spectaluar enough on their own, but together, there is that character dynamic and chemistry that makes them like a buddy movie which we haven't had in a Marvel film so far.

Luke Cage is pretty much as you say above, but Iron Fist's powers aren't that different from other characters that have already been seen in dozens of martial arts movies (or even tv series) hundreds of times before. There have been many warriors who can channel their chi into various parts of their body to make it invulnerable or destructive.

Even in a non fantasy cop series like Martial Law, the lead character played by Sammo Hung used exactly what Iron Fist's powers are in the final episode by channelling his chi force into his fist to smash down an iron door. Plus he is also well known for his kung fu skills.

So the best solution for them is to play up the buddy aspect as well as the nostalgia factor of blaxploitation flicks combined with kung fu flicks, because on their own I see them both individually turning out more like the Elektra, Daredevil, Punisher or Ghost Rider movies no matter how "interesting" their backstories are supposed to be.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote