View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #595
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
I disagree. If anything I believe it added a layer to the mythos and to the Batman/Joker dichotomy. Fans always like to tout that the two are bound together by the cosmos. Hell, even Nolan hinted as much at the end of The Dark Knight.

Is it unfaithful to the source material? Yea, sure. But it doesn't tarnish the relationship between the two of them in any way. Remember, Burton was presented with the unbearable task of telling the story of Batman over the course of just a single film. He had to condense all of that mythology and all that history into one movie. By making Joker the murderer of Bruce's parents, it suggests that these two were always destined to cross paths. That one simply could not have existed without the other's help.

"I made you... you made me first".
That's exactly why it didn't work. Batman's existence should never be reliant on the Joker, but the Joker's should be on Batman. The condensing it into one movie excuse doesn't wash. This was done as a last minute rewrite during the writers strike.

Not to mention it wouldn't have changed a thing if they didn't make the Joker the killer because up until the last half an hour it's never an issue. It wasn't a prominent story throughout the movie. It was thrown in for the final act.

To say it doesn't tarnish their relationship is a complete falsity. When has Batman ever blamed his existence as Batman on the Joker? It completely alters their relationship.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-06-2013 at 01:56 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote