View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #597
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think there's such a thing as taking a parallel or a sense of poetic irony one step too far.

For a lot of fans, having The Joker be the killer of the Waynes was that step too far. I don't particularly mind it for that movie, but I don't think it's the best interpretation of the mythos. There's a reason that never caught on in any other version of the story. It's unnecessary.
Exactly. It was one of elements of the movie that got complaints from the fan community:

Even Sam Hamm, the script writer of the movie was against it:

Quote:
Batman was criticized in some quarters for being "too dark". Many observed that Burton was more interested in the Joker rather than Batman in terms of characterization and screen time. Comic book fans reacted negatively over the Joker murdering Thomas and Martha Wayne. In the comic book, Joe Chill is responsible. Writer Sam Hamm, who is a comic book fan, said it was Burton's idea to have the Joker murder Wayne's parents. "The Writer's Strike was going on," Hamm continued, "and Tim had the other writers do that. I also hold innocent to Alfred letting Vicki Vale into the Batcave," he reasoned. "Fans were ticked off with that, and I agree. That would have been Alfred's last day of employment at Wayne Manor."
http://destinyosbourne.hubpages.com/hub/the-batman

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote