View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #598
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
That's exactly why it didn't work. Batman's existence should never be reliant on the Joker, but the Joker's should be on Batman.
I don't think the creators of Batman had any idea just how important Joker was going to end up being at the time. It had reached to the point where he became more than just another villain in Batman's lineup. The character took a life of it's own.

Batman's existence is not reliant on The Joker, but the Batman mythos certainly is. By having Joker be the killer, it suggests that this is a character who is tied to Batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
To say it doesn't tarnish their relationship is a complete falsity. When has Batman ever blamed his existence as Batman on the Joker? It completely alters their relationship.
Well technically, it was not the Joker who killed Bruce's parents in the movie. It was Jack Napier, a common thug. Only after encountering Batman did he become "reborn" as The Joker.

Joker's was not the face that haunted Bruce. It was Jack's. He was the one that drove Bruce to become Batman. However as fate would have it, it would be also Batman that drove Jack to become the Joker. Once again, it suggests there is something cosmic binding these two together. Whereas in The Dark Knight, Joker is just some lunatic who gave Batman **** for awhile.

You can feel any way you want about it. Burton's film isn't the definitive interpretation of Batman any more so than Scorsese's film was the definitive interpretation of Jesus. It's just one movie. It's just one man's vision. Personally I think there was a beauty to it. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I'll take Burton's original film over any of Nolan's. But that's another debate for another day.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote