View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #105
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Default Re: What's your worst fear regarding MOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
That they spend too much time on the origin. This isn't in the same position as Batman Begins was. Nolan was lucky enough for Burton to have never covered the origin so he had an easy and obvious way in to the mythos that would surely set his version apart. MoS doesn't have that luxury. We've seen Superman's origin told and told very well. I understand that they want to separate their vision of Krypton and the origin from Donner's and that's a good idea. Get people's minds away from only thinking the crystal-planet version is cannon or something rather than just Donner's cool idea for the time of how an alien world might be different.

BUT...I don't want them spending a whole hour of the film on set up before we even see him in the costume. There's not such a need to drag it out this time. He should be in tights and doing his thing a half hour into the film.
My worst fear is that they agree with you. Seriously, as much as I love the first act of Superman: The Movie, it really is a bare bones version of Superman's childhood in Smallville with the Kents. It jumps straight from the Kents finding Clark to high school Clark and the death of Jonathan. There is a ton of interesting material and development that could be explored in the space between those events and which seem fundamental to selling the new interpretation of the character. The filmmakers need time show why Clark is in self-imposed exile in Alaska. Why he is suffering from an existential crisis - the conflict of his urge to save people and the fear that the world will reject him as a freak among other issues. A short origin will be forced to hit the same basic beats as S:TM - Kents find Clark, they instill him with folksy wisdom and he goes out to find his place in the world. They need the longer origin to help them distinguish this movie from S:TM and helppeople relate to Superman. To strip away the false assumptions of perfection and demonstrate that is a man with fears, concerns and past mistakes, so that when he is flying around the tights doing his thing, the audience is rooting for him.

DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote