View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #51
Soapy
It's happening again...

Default Re: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

Spider-Man was good for the time, but it doesn't hold up very well in my opinion. Expectations from superhero movies were very different back then and I think the movie was so well regarded not because it was a great film, but only because it was the first time in recent memory that we were given a much more "honest" adaptation of a comic book.

Spider-Man 2 was and still is pretty great. It's a summer blockbuster superhero thrill ride, and it doesn't try to be anything else.

Spider-Man 3 isn't the piece of **** that a lot of people make it out to be, but it really isn't very good. Simple as that.

Batman Begins was a bit of a disappointment to me when it was first released, but it has grown on me over the years. The first two thirds of the movie are excellent in my opinion, unfortunately it can't resist going into cliche comic book movie territory in the final act.

The Dark Knight is the greatest superhero movie ever made. No hyperbole. It single-handedly elevated the material as well as the entire genre.

The Dark Knight Rises is a good movie, but it sadly doesn't escape the "threequel curse". There are too many weird leaps of logic that are made in the first act in order to get to the meat of the movie.

I don't feel there's really a debate to be had here. Both are summer blockbuster franchises, but where Raimi never attempts to go beyond that, Nolan clearly exhibits a much higher level of craft and artistic ambition with these films than any of his contemporaries.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote