View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #109
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Default Re: What's your worst fear regarding MOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
My worst fear is that they agree with you. Seriously, as much as I love the first act of Superman: The Movie, it really is a bare bones version of Superman's childhood in Smallville with the Kents. It jumps straight from the Kents finding Clark to high school Clark and the death of Jonathan. There is a ton of interesting material and development that could be explored in the space between those events and which seem fundamental to selling the new interpretation of the character. The filmmakers need time show why Clark is in self-imposed exile in Alaska. Why he is suffering from an existential crisis - the conflict of his urge to save people and the fear that the world will reject him as a freak among other issues. A short origin will be forced to hit the same basic beats as S:TM - Kents find Clark, they instill him with folksy wisdom and he goes out to find his place in the world. They need the longer origin to help them distinguish this movie from S:TM and helppeople relate to Superman. To strip away the false assumptions of perfection and demonstrate that is a man with fears, concerns and past mistakes, so that when he is flying around the tights doing his thing, the audience is rooting for him.
I actually agree with you. I'd be a-ok with them putting the emphasis elsewhere on his origin story. However, they should be economical with their time. I don't fancy waiting an hour into the film for him to finally start doing his Superman gig. I think they should be able to hit all the beats they need to in half that time.