View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #604
OutRiddled
Banned User

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
When you mess around with the murder of the Waynes, you're messing with the foundation of the whole mythology. It's one of the most sacred moments of Batman lore, whole different ballgame. If Burton didn't realize that he was doing something potentially controversial than that was a bit naive on his part. And none of those examples you just listed come off as extremely contrived coincidences. It's not just the idea itself, but the shoehorned in feel of the execution and ultimate hollowness of the reveal.

Personally, I honestly LOVE the flashback of the Waynes' murder in Batman 89. I find that scene to be quite haunting and I probably prefer it to the Waynes' murder in Batman Begins. But when I take a step back, I can acknowledge that there are some legitimate gripes to be had with it. And I ultimately very much prefer the classic scenario where Batman never gets the chance to avenge the man who gunned down his parents. That just rings true to me.

OutRiddled, just cause you defend the Burton films constantly does that make you a Burtonite? Do you want to be labeled a blind Burton worshiper? No? Then don't play the "Nolanite" card. It works both ways.
I don't worship Burton at all. I used to be a fan until he made that ****** Planet of the Apes remake.

Unlike the Nolanites here who love everything he does. Like he has the Midas touch or something.

In the comics, I'd prefer it that Batman never found out who killed his parents. So it's like this endless quest for justice to a crime that goes unpunished.

But a movie is more self-contained. You can't fit 50+ years of mythology into one movie. Neither would I want a 10 part Twilight style epic. I wanted an ultimate Batman Vs Joker film and I got it. The whole "I made you, you made me first" is just that one final ingredient to give it that operatic showdown of hero vs villain.

This isn't Nolan's bone dry literalism.. it's meant to be a dark operatic fantasy. Yet all fanboys can do is nitpick at tiny plot points that don't really matter.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote