View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #610
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
He's respected because he managed to inherit the Batman franchise and make hollywood billions of dollars with it. You could use his name to sell breakfast cereal now.

Just like those trendy contemporary film studies courses who try to be so 'avant garde' and on the 'cutting edge'.

Doesn't change the fact he's a Michael Mann/Stanley Kubrick wannabe.
You're confusing popularity with respect. Man, it really must burn you that Nolan has mountains of both, lol. But hey, you can't have that much notoriety and acclaim without attracting some backlash/haters. Enter OutRiddled!

Quote:
I didn't like Dark Shadows. But at least Burton isn't trying to be pretentious. He makes gothic fantasies. He isn't trying to make some grand statement. His films work as pure visual entertainment.
You should check out Frankenweenie if you're a fan of old Burton.

Quote:
When you have a two hour self-contained film, you don't leave loose threads. You have to wrap things up otherwise it's an incoherent mess. This is Batman not Prometheus.
Let's not act like Batman 89 answered all questions. A lot of Bruce's past is kept a mystery, intentionally. All we get as an explanation for why he chose bats as a symbol is, "they're great survivors". We never get that moment of realization where he decides "I shall become a Bat". So there was no need to shoehorn in the connection there, it was simply something Burton wanted to do to raise the emotional stakes in the third act.

Quote:
It's a pity the writers strike was going on, otherwise they might've found a better way around it. But it's all a big 'what if'. They did the best with what they had and delivered a damn fine movie.
I can agree with that. I think Batman was a triumph despite its flaws, and it had to emerge against incredible odds to be what it was.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 04-07-2013 at 12:24 PM.
BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote