View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #150
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Robert Redford offically joins Cap:TWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? If it's the USA, consider me shocked, as Redford's as much of an American icon as Nicholson, Jon Voight, Gene Hackman, etc. (from the same era as those guys - he was the "All-American Heartthrob" of the group). The only difference between him and Nicholson, etc, is that like Hackman, he's been in pseudo-retirement for the last decade or so (while Hackman's in full-retirement).

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Sting
The Great Gatsby
All The President's Men
The Natural
The Way We Were
Out of Africa
Indecent Proposal

...none of those are remotely obscure - they're mainstream popular classics that even most casual movie buffs are at least familiar with. I'm not trying to give you a hard time for not knowing who he is, but I'm just wondering if this is a cultural thing (since he truly is the personification of the "All-American" guy, so maybe his iconic status was largely restricted to the USA). For the record, I'm 27, and I've known who Robert Redford was since I was about 11 or 12. He and Paul Newman were one of the great on-screen duos.

He's also the guy who pretty much always gets fan-cast as Captain America in those "cast it from another era" discussions because back in the day, he looked and sounded like Steve Rogers walked right off the page, lol.
^ This, except that his iconic status isn't just restricted to the US.