Originally Posted by psylockolussus
Then next year, I don't think Malificent, Hercules, Guardians of the Galaxy and Jupiter Ascending will be a box-office threat to DOFP.
I wouldn't sleep on GOTG. DOFP has the established X-Men brand, but Guardians has some advantages over the FOX mash up:
1) A new concept versus the the 7th film in a series.
2) Lots of tie-in merchandise for GOTG, nothing for DOFP.
3) A more "kid friendly" tone than the presumably darker X film.
4) A talking anthropomorphic Raccoon.
5) Promotional Post credit scene in either IM2, CA:TWS or T:TDW.
6) The first look at Avengers 2 in the GOTG post credit scene.
7) A marketing juggernaut that would love to kill off FOX's X franchise.
If Disney is confident in Gunn's work, I wouldn't be surprised if they flip the release dates for this and Maleficent to beat DOFP into movie theaters. The general audience probably won't see two super-hero team films within such a short window, so one of the two will likely fail to meet studio expectations.