View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #258
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Haven't I been speculating all of this *almost exactly* for the past few months....? Why yes, Sam, yes, I have. But lo, yea and forsooth, the masses chose to follow the false prophets, and I have been one voice crying in the wilderness.....

How about: NO nemesis? Who says a superhero *has* to have an archnemesis, anyway? Iron Man's comic book rogues' gallery has been more an evolution of whatever socio-political environment was in vogue at the time. He fought Cold War Commies; Reagan-era corporate greed; the military-industrial complex; and in more recent years, crimelords, mad scientists, and terrorists.
That's the nature of comic books. If you're going to insist on having stories that never end with characters that never die, you need a recurring foil. Again, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not the case. Mandarin is Tony's nemesis in the comics. Ever since IM1 was announced, people have been asking "When are we getting the Mandarin?" No one was saying, "When are we getting Ghost?" Why? Because most people accept the fact that Mandarin is the equivalent to Joker, Lex, etc. He's the most recognizable foe of the superhero.

And just so we're clear, he's the weakest character of any of the aforementioned nemesisessess, IMO. Doesn't take away his status, though.