Originally Posted by Zarex
I wouldn't sleep on GOTG. DOFP has the established X-Men brand, but Guardians has some advantages over the FOX mash up:
1) A new concept versus the the 7th film in a series.
2) Lots of tie-in merchandise for GOTG, nothing for DOFP.
3) A more "kid friendly" tone than the presumably darker X film.
4) A talking anthropomorphic Raccoon.
5) Promotional Post credit scene in either IM2, CA:TWS or T:TDW.
6) The first look at Avengers 2 in the GOTG post credit scene.
7) A marketing juggernaut that would love to kill off FOX's X franchise.
If Disney is confident in Gunn's work, I wouldn't be surprised if they flip the release dates for this and Maleficent to beat DOFP into movie theaters. The general audience probably won't see two super-hero team films within such a short window, so one of the two will likely fail to meet studio expectations.
If Captain America couldn't even outgross Origins: Wolverine, I don't think Guardians of the Galaxy could even outgross Days of Future Past. Guardians of the Galaxy is like a D-List comic book property and it doesn't even have a Robert Downey Jr playing the lead character of the movie. It might not flop because its part of MCU but I don't see it as a big success that it would gross higher than Days of Future Past. And besides the Iron Man films/The Avengers, none of MCU's films crossed the $500 million mark.
Originally Posted by JP
By only $15 million dollars?
And Captain America was released in 3D. So much for beating X-Men: First Class' worldwide gross.