View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #72
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I don't think you can really compare Battleship to X-Men simply because X-Men is already an established film series. But DOFP has to be as good as X2/first Class to earn strong legs at the box-office.

Then with The Wolverine, it doesn't really have a big competition, its the only major film that is opening in its first weekend. The other major releases in July 2013 are Despicable Me, Lone Ranger, Growns Up, Pacific Rim, Red 2, and RIPD. I don't see any of those films being so successful that it would steal Wolverine's thunder at the box-office. Then with the August 2013 releases, I don't think any of them would hurt the box-office performance of The Wolverine.

Then next year, I don't think Malificent, Hercules, Guardians of the Galaxy and Jupiter Ascending will be a box-office threat to DOFP.
Those are all good points. However they can be easily foiled by one simple logic: many audiences are tired of Wolverine/Hugh Jackman. He's become the Beyonce of the X-Men and he's at the point of overexposure.

XOW was a warning in my opinion. Yeah, fans here blame the dissapointing box office on TLS and the leaked footage, yadda, yadda, yadda, but if the film was great and audiences still loved him the same, the repeat viewings would've showed the proof in the pudding.

This next Wolverine film will tell the tale. However, if it doesn't perform as well as expected, I wouldn't take that as an indication of what's to come for DoFP. Even FOX knows that Wolverine by himself is simply not enough. That's why the first film was stuffed wit Deadpool, Gambit and every other possible mutant cameo and this one is featuring Jean Grey.

Successful solo characters like Iron Man and Captain America have never had to lean so heavily on other factors like Wolverine.