View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #84
josh8
Side-Kick

Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Okay, we need to officially shut down this whole Cap vs. Wolverine thing, as if the fact that Wolverine outgrossed Cap is a testament of its staying power. It actually reveals the exact opposite. Behold:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine= $373,062,864
Captain America= 368,608,363

Okay. Am I the only one who sees how f***ing close these numbers are? That's damn disturbing. By the time XOW came out, Wolverine had been the lead for three X-Men films...plenty of set-up. Next to Spider-Man, he is hands-down Marvel's most popular male character and always has been (he's in every goddamn comic book, even non-X-Men titles, plus his own multiple titles). His film featured appearances from kid Cyclops, Emma Frost, Baby Storm, Gambit, Deadpool, every frigging mutant cameo of all time.

Now, let's look at Captain America by comparison: significantly lesser known and yet his first film (one that came without any set up, no trilogy, etc.) came within spitting distance of Wolverine's first "solo" film. That's on "What the hell" levels, people.

Translation: Audiences are burned out on Wolverine. And I think some of you guys are seriously overestimating his box office pull at this point.
I don't think it meant that they were burned out on him. His solo movie was never going to do as well as a team X-Men movie. It opened to a very good $85M (which translates to approx. ~$110M now). You can't say that people were sick of Wolverine based on those numbers. It was the quick decline that was the problem, but that is the result of bad word-of-mouth and an overall bad movie. That opening blows Cap out of the water. And as psylockecolossus mentioned, you factor in inflation, and XMO:W made quite a bit more than Cap.

If anything, all the cameos did was create uneven marketing... and there's nothing worse for a movie than confusing marketing. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Wolverine needs all of these other poeple.
Again, I disagree, but it's too late to really test that now.

Last edited by josh8; 04-08-2013 at 08:40 PM.