View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #93
BMM
Side-Kick

Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
You can't compare the two. They can afford to feature them in the next film because unlike Wolverine, Captain America is a proven, bankable solo franchise. He didn't need "The Cameo Crutch" to take a stand on his own like XOW did. Neither did Thor or Iron Man in their debuts.
I hate to do this, but I pretty much disagree with this entire post.

To say that Captain America is a proven, bankable franchise free of relying on a cameo crutch is a bit naive in my opinion. The entirety of the Marvel Universe is a cameo crutch. That's what makes it fun, and that's part of the draw. And both Captain America films absolutely take advantage of this.

Quote:
Besides, it's unlikely that Black Widow and Nick Fury will get solo films, but they are part of Cap's world now so it's totally sensible that they make appearances post-Avengers.
The same can be said for Jean Grey.

Quote:
But Cap doesn't need them.
To sell more, he does. Captain America is Marvel's second lowest grossing franchise. Marvel knows this, and it's most likely one of the reasons they're included in the film. Does it make sense that those characters are in the sequel otherwise? Yes. But Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson's inclusions are doing plenty to help the sequel.

Quote:
His next film will sell like gangbusters just off the star power of Chris Evans and his amazing, twitching Gluteous Maximus.
If it sells like gangbusters, it won't be because of the star power of Chris Evans. It will be because of the Marvel brand and the part the movie plays in the larger Marvel Universe. Sorry. Evans isn't a big box office draw. If he was, his career would be in better shape otherwise, and Captain America would have done much better than it did.

Last edited by BMM; 04-09-2013 at 07:00 AM.