View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #117
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I definitely agree about the ordinary citizens having doubt about the Dent cover up, but the whole focus is on the Blackgate prisoners. They don't care if what Bane is saying is true or not, they just want to be released and cut loose.
Bane is addressing everyone in Gotham in that scene. Plus, the whole scene plays out like it is the moment when the truth is revealed to the people of Gotham - to both criminals and ordinary citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I completely disagree. I think in the court of public opinion you tend to be guilty until proven innocent. That is to say, people tend to be willing to believe things if they're bad, especially when it comes to saint-like politicians. We're conditioned to buy into scandals.

The people who joined Bane's revolution were ready to revolt regardless (a small overall fraction of Gotham's population, many of them the freed prisoners). Bane was sealing the deal with the speech. You don't know that EVERYbody in Gotham believed what he said. I think most of Gotham didn't know what to think and were just trying to stay safe.
I can buy that in a usual court situation. I'm not sure I can buy that in this particular situation. You have a terrorist that just reads a letter he pulls out of his pocket and everyone just believes him? It isn't so much that Bane just reveals the truth, but that he also presents the letter as solid evidence of the cover-up which is how he justifies breaking everyone out of Blackgate to the people of Gotham.

As for who and who didn't join Bane's revolution and what Gotham was thinking, that is something I want to talk about in more detail when I have the time for a longer post.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote