View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Best to watch the trilogy as Bond films, not Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
screw the comics that's not what im talking about. im talking about the style tone and "make" of the recent films. they are not styled at all like a comic book, and remind me more of how a bond movie tries to be realistic yet fantastical. this is what Nolan pulled off grandly but its not how a batman movie should be in my book. ive never seen any of the villians look the way they do, especially joker and such. too much was changed from the comic books. its like Nolan said hey I want to make a james bond movie but oh well ill just take batman and james bond-ify him so its not like a comic at all but more like an average action movie similar to bond. for me, a batman movie shouldn't be trying to copy the style of a bond movie but to be its own thing. now you cant tell the difference.
In other words you personally didn't like his style and decided it was like James Bond?

Quote:
Of course, Batman came up. I asked Denny what he thought of BATMAN BEGINS. “The best of the live action Batman films, by a wide margin,” was his immediate response.
- Denny O'Neill

http://www.batman-on-film.com/interv...bray_2006.html

Quote:
Heath, who saw Morrison’s list and put it in his Joker diary. “He actually had a whole list -- blind babies, doctors, accidents -- really horrible stuff,” Morrison said. “Heath wrote it all down. So yeah, I can see there’s a lot of [‘Arkham’ and ‘Midnight’] in his Joker. The filmmakers have taken great pains to acknowledge the original comics they drew from, Morrison pointed out. With those shout-outs, sales for the originals have skyrocketed – not just for “Arkham,” but also Alan Moore’s “The Killing Joke,” Frank Miller’s “Year One” and “Dark Knight Returns,” and Jeph Loeb’s “Long Halloween.”

“David Goyer has said they owe a debt to us,” Morrison said. “And it’s really easy to see our influence. But at the same time, they also created something quite new and extraordinary.””
- Grant Morrison

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/08/04...s-joker-diary/

Quote:
I thought they did a really, really good job. I mean, I walked out of that movie with a smile on my face; I thought it was a really strong interpretation of the character, and they knew what to borrow from and how much. I got a major kick out of the fact that they used that bit where he calls on the bats to attack the cops and that sort of thing, and I loved Gary Oldman's interpretation of exactly the Jim Gordon that I'd written in Batman: Year One.
- Frank Miller

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2005/08/2...terview?page=2

Quote:
“I know there are different opinions on that movie. I thought it was interesting that when The Dark Knight came out it was just after the financial crash and you had this mass joblessness all over the Western world. I thought, ‘It is going to be quite hard to do a film about a billionaire hero who lives in a gigantic mansion and goes out to beat up poor people every night.’ Just think about it – Bruce Wayne is the guy who is firing people, he is not really one of us [laughs]. But to their credit they really tackled it in that movie. It was very, very timely: it was a tale of two cities and I thought it was on the side of the poor guys. When they were raiding the mansions and throwing people out on the street – and even at the end Bruce Wayne gave away his fortune. I thought Bane was the most compelling out of all the villains – right from the start I thought, ‘this guy is great.’ I thought the only thing that let it down a bit was the action: Nolan should go to movie jail for the Bane vs Catwoman thing at the end. But the rest of the movie was so brilliant that you could easily forgive him. I liked it better than The Avengers.”
- Mark Millar

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/02/01/mark...future-past/2/

Quote:
Yes, my first exposure to Batman as a character was Batman the TV series. But honestly, I didn’t know it was supposed to be a parody or campy. I thought it was the coolest thing I’d ever seen. Of course, I was 5 at the time. But all in one fell swoop, I became an instant super hero fan. Later on, as I got older and started reading more comics and getting into the super hero scene, I realized that the Batman show was kind of a comedy. I was reading Neal Adams comics and thinking, “Batman is kind of cooler than that show – he’s kind of scary and mysterious.” So my perception of Batman changed over time, and then I went through the periods with Frank Miller and the Tim Burton movies. So now I’ve got these warring Batmans in my head. I still love the Adam West/Batman show. I still love the Neal Adams take on Batman comics. I still love The Dark Knight. All of these things totally contradict each other, and yet it’s fine to me. I’ve said it over and over again – Batman as a character is such a strong concept, he’s the kind of character that you can take him in any number of ways and it still feels right. Batman: The Animated Series is a really good version of Batman. Batman: The Brave and the Bold – that’s a really good version of Batman. They have equal value.
- Bruce Timm

http://www.facebook.com/notes/batman...24092317631826

For movies you say are not made the way a comic book movie should, they certainly impressed a lot of notable comic book people.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-09-2013 at 01:49 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote