View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #77
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I'm saying the way the film was made, it required the previous films, otherwise it would have felt awkward. The story and script would have to have been completely different to achieve what you're describing. There's no way the movie would have done anything close to $1.5b...hell it might not have gotten $500m tbh.
I agree with you (for once) on this. Story-wise, it is a continuation from five films worth of character development and actual relevant plot. Sure, people watched the movie without having seen the previous films, but they only went because the hype machine that had been building for 4 years was hitting critical mass at that point. If they started with Avengers in 2008, my guess is it would have done as well as the first Iron Man movie, based on the same intrigue that RDJ brought to the table in 2008 that brought people to see the first Iron Man movie in the first place.

But let's also think of the history: in 2006-07, Marvel would not have been able to cast RDJ, Sam Jackson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo and Tom Hiddleston, let alone budget the thing with their start-up loan and given that Disney would not have bought it until it proved its viability as a studio. They probably would not have made the choice or even have been able to hire Whedon to write and direct the film.

The Avengers was able to succeed the way it did because it was built from extended years of planning, its growing reputation for bringing in oscar-level talent in successful solo films, the Disney purchase, and continued relationships with smaller effects studios from previous movies. Without the Phase One movies, it very well may have been a bite too big for a fledging Marvel Studios to chew.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote