View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Arkham Origins Announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
There's something called "brand equity." Batman has it, yes. But there have been Batman video games in the past. And they've been a mixed-bag. The "Arkham" games have been another animal entirely.

Yes, the "Batman" brand has that equity, but Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City were both massive hits and Batman: Arkham Origins will take place within the same universe as those games, so why not capitalize on that name cache?

Think of The Dark Knight Rises. Sure, Batman Begins did well at the box office. It road the name of "Batman" (and it's own fine merits) but then The Dark Knight came along and was this whole other thing. It made more than twice the money, Oscars, and acclaim. It exploded. It was a cultural phenomenon. So for the sequel, did the studio tie it more directly with Batman Begins or The Dark Knight? It's just smart business.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't feature Arkham Asylum or Arkham City in this game. It is part of the Batman: Arkham universe. And a game in that universe and identified as such will sell a whole lot more easily than a fresh start, or a game that people don't know is set in the universe that they have now come to love.

-R
I said it doesn't make sense from a story point of view; I completely understand why it is there from a business point of view.

However, I don't think TDKR would have made that much less money than what it did had it not had "The Dark Knight" in the title and I don't think this game would've made much less money than what it is going to make had it not had Arkham in the title. I can understand why WB would disagree but I think most people can recognize visually that this takes place in the same universe plus there are still other ways you can advertise it using the Arkham name like attaching a sticker to it that says "The anticipated prequel to the Arkham story!" or releasing all 3 games as a pack similar to how the AMC theatres released the whole TDK Trilogy in theatres or attaching a slogan to it such as "The Arkham saga continues!", etc.

Also, the name is not going to affect the quality of the game in any way but when there is a reason other than business for why the first 2 games have Arkham in the title that this game does not have, it gives off the vibe that the game is only being made to milk the franchise Rocksteady created because Rocksteady is busy with another project at the moment. I'm not saying that this is definitely the case and most of the stuff we saw and heard so far does look good but that is not a good vibe one would want to give when they first announce news about their game.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote