View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #733
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Where does most of TDK's critisism come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I agree with this. To me The Dark Knight Trilogy is the greatest, most complete Batman tale ever told. BTAS is like something parallel to the comics itself, it's too vast to be considered "one" story, but it exists as a wholly definitive Bat-universe.

But in terms of story, TDK trilogy nails it. You could adapt the story of these three movies to any medium and I'd love it. A graphic novel like you said, a video game- heck, make an animated version of the trilogy in the Timm-verse. You really can't go wrong, it's just three really strong Batman stories that showcase a wide range of emotions, characters and genres, but in the end form a coherent whole.
And I think (and pardon me for being controversial here) the thing that made these three movies really work was that it seemed like Nolan/Nolan/Goyer's goal was to write three good stories first. Not good Batman stories, just good stories. And the icing on the cake was that they were Batman movies. I know this isn't a popular opinion, especially when we get into talk about TDK being an extended Law & Order episode with Batman/Joker randomly sandwiched in, or how it was trying to be a realistic crime drama that just happens to have a guy dressed like a bat in it.

It's just the opposite for me. I think these characters provide a massive, limitless canvas for epic, powerful storytelling, and Nolan initially stripped away and ignored the characters and said, "Okay, epic, powerful storytelling. Let's focus on that first, and then go back to the characters who make that possible."

In other words, it's the complete opposite of, say, Schumacher, who's approach is, "Let's just put together a 'Batman' movie real quick, and it'll have Batman, and Robin, and throw in Mr. Freeze, and, and, and Poison Ivy, and it'll be a 'Batman' movie." Yes, it's a 'Batman' movie... but that's all it is.

It's almost as if Nolan made the perfect Batman movies by purposely trying to NOT make Batman movies. I notice this every time I watch Batman Begins. All of a sudden, about an hour into the movie, there's Batman. I get so caught up in the damn story and how emotionally compelling it is, I forget that this guy is actually going to be Batman later on in the film. I feel like, "Whoa, wait a minute, this is a damn good film AND I get Batman in it?!"

This is the mark of true genius to me. And you won't see this in any other comic book movies, ever. Man of Steel looks like it has the potential of doing this, but I am cautiously optimistic until opening night.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to discount or speak poorly of every other comic book movie out there. I think what Nolan did for Batman could definitely be done to Spider-Man, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Flash, and so on. These are all fantastic characters who deserve the same treatment. I'm speaking purely of Nolan's talent. But I'm also aware of the fact that Batman is kind of a unique, singular character in the whole superhero roster.

Ah hell, I don't know what I'm saying.

Last edited by Rocketman; 04-10-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote