View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #204
JackWhite
Third Man

Default Re: What Nolan does poorest. Villain Endings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
No, you're definitely not alone. Its particularly bad when you consider that the obtrusive staircase scene is in, but this lovely shot ended up on the cutting room floor:

Literally the moment of Bruce's re-entrance into society. The way he is going through a doorway into an old life. The birth metaphor. Gone. Cut. Lost.
I know scenes/dialogue always get cut out of films, but this film draws a lot of red flags because of IMAX limitations. It really is a beautiful shot though. Shame it got cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
That edit is basically to intercut between actions that are happening at the same time. That his way of positioning time in both moments. And so he transitions , as BatLobsterRises, splitting between image and sound for the transition. So we start with her , we hear the other scene (someone speaking) starts before transition , scene plays out , cuts back to her , and he employs the same technique again (this time what triggers the transition is Alfred's voice...and it happens even another time when it goes outside to Foley).

I would say it was an easy way to intercut scenes that weren't very strong (also with the outside ) , and at the same time to define parallel actions (in time). With the scenes playing out completely and individually (her climbing with total silence , and the little dialog between alfred , miranda and the australian guy , and a little scene with the cops) maybe the pacing would be a little off. Hard to say without seeing it like that. Also it mixes well knowing that Bruce's is hold up in there (dagget says that) and so it contextualizes the space and action of Cat's going there alone , in silence.
Ah, I see. It still seems jarring whenever I watch that scene, but thanks for the little explanation.

Last edited by JackWhite; 04-13-2013 at 04:47 PM.
JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote