View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: Official Superman Returns Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
So what we got was a muddled half-continuation of the Donner films, but with a different take on some of the characters. And that to me is why really, it fundamentally didn't work at the core - neither the viewer (or perhaps even Singer) had a 100% clear picture of what this film was trying to be. And with them trying to compensate for the gap between the original films and this one, the story issues weren't the only problem - you had continuity errors, a new look for the Superman suit which didn't really work at all, poor CGi instead of decent wirework, and so on.

Singer should have taken a new approach entirely, like Snyder has done.
Even as a fan of SR, I can appreciate (some of) this criticism. It seems clear to me that Singer was interested in the thematic tension between the hero’s traditional duties and his innate desire for normalcy. And according to Singer, these two aspects are incompatible - thus the story is necessarily melancholy (not to say tragic - though F. Scott Fitzgerald once said: “Show me a hero and I’ll write you a tragedy.” ).

Now, I see this as a fascinating - and entirely legitimate - interpretation of the mythos. But in retrospect, I think Singer should have crafted his movie as a fully unique iteration. In tone, it’s certainly quite a bit different than Donner’s version. Yet by using the Williams music and various/numerous other homages, he implies a continuity - one that, imo, doesn't/shouldn’t exist.

Granted, a (say) new and original music score would not address the typical complaints that many critics have expressed (e.g., Superman having a son). But such changes would have, at least, given SR its own identity - rather than being the weird hybrid that it is.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote