View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #62
semper
Side-Kick

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU View Post
Theres a difference though imo. Black Panther is the KING lol of an African country, born and raised for lots of his life in an African country also, If they have him without an accent that would be terrible lol. Way worse than Storm or Gambit imo.

Anyway 42 is out now, I still havent gotten to see it but its getting good reviews. Mostly all reviews say he was great as Jackie and Harrison was great to. Anybody seen it think he'd b a good Panther?
I actually disagree about the Panther needing an African acccent. I think him having a British accent would work just as well, if not better. For many western movie viewers, British accents often a shorthand for "regal" or well bred. It's why anyone with a British accent is usually seen as being more "classy". A black African King with a British accent might throw some viewers intially, but it's easily explained.

It's long been an established part of his history that T'Challa studied in the UK, where he got his PHD in Physics from Oxford. So he's got a British education. Children of African dignataries sent to study abroad often come back with the local accent. I think him having a British accent makes perfect sense, without actually messing with his origin or history. As long as the accent isn't American though.

In fact, I've always envisioned the movie opening with T'Challa studying at Oxford University (the audience will get an early look at his intellect) and being summoned back to Wakanda because of some internal strife involving his father that lead to him taking on the mantle of the Panther.

Last edited by semper; 04-16-2013 at 11:20 PM.