View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #22
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Default Re: Official Man of Steel Trailer(s) Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I'm just glad that the trailer had a really uplifting tone. I feel like after the past decade of terrorism, war, recession, and government deadlock, I feel like Superman's optimism will strike a chord with people. I hate to sound like Devin Faraci (when he criticized the Nolan Batfilms), but I feel like people might be getting a little tired of dark and gritty. Times of crisis always seem to encourage the consumption of escapist fantasy. People want to forget about real life for a little while. Superman and Batman were created during the Great Depression after all. If the marketing for this movie continues to solid, I feel like Man of Steel could be coming at just the right moment to be a massive hit.
Nolan's Batman was mostly a personal therapy story. Bruce Wayne working out his personal demons through Batman. That's why it got as dark as it did (and Batman being dark in general), because he was pretty ugly and scary inside.

Superman, this Superman, is different. Of course, there's no telling what the REAL story is about before the film is released, but from what we've seen so far, it seems that personal choice will be a huge aspect. The choice to do the right thing. To help others, even if it comes at a cost to you. That's why Lois is having so much trouble chasing down Clark - he disappears every time he pulls off a spectacular rescue. It's in his nature to help, but it comes at a major cost to him, and yet he still keeps doing it. Because it's just the right thing.

I agree that at this time, it could be the right time to hit a cultural nerve. But again, it's something we can't bank on, but it sure will be interesting to observe if it does happen.