View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #68
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
That could be interesting. I'm not entirely sure how I'd feel about it. It really underlines that Euro-centrism that I think can undermine a character that's so essentially African. If Wakanda is sore core to the character, how come he sounds like he's from Essex? You could turn around and subvert that if/when he tosses off his British accent and regains his African one going into the third act... but that might be a bit too... abstract? Pretentious? Not sure.
An Essex accent isn't the only British accent. There are huge variations across all the counties. If he's attended Oxford, or brought up in a boarding school or private school, he shouldn't sound like an Essex lad at all. Not that I really want him to have a British accent anyway. But the point is that if he is a king and can afford to be educated in England, he wouldn't sound like a commoner and wouldn't pick some local comprehensive school.