View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #957
Soapy
It's happening again...

Default Re: Official Nintendo 3DS Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I think they look great. A nice updated look for 3D.

Really? I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but look how vibrant and crisp the original game's graphics are:

LTTP2 looks very muddy and washed out in comparison.

Another comparison for Yoshi's Island:

The original game has a very beautiful hand drawn look to it. Whereas, the new one is kind of a smudgy mess:

These games also suffer some of the same problems I have with the New Super Mario Bros. games in that they have a very sterile look and lack personality. I don't think this is a problem with Nintendo necesarily, I think it more lies in recreating 2D classics in a no-frills 3D style. It's frustrating to see Nintendo go down this NSMB road again with two other series when I know they're capable of making great looking 2D games.

Having said that, I'm not making a snap judgement. I'm more than willing to wait for the final games to decide whether or not they're worth a purchase, but I was just kind of disappointed with what they showed of them today.

And before anyone throws the "nostalgia goggles" accusation at me, let me say that I barely played any of the original Yoshi's Island, and honestly wasn't crazy what I did play of it. I just think that original game is insanely pretty and kind of a technical marvel to boot.