View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #213
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Or, maybe they're trying to make money.. I donno.. NOW?

Guys, we've had a director on board for almost a year now, and the film is still 2 years away. There's simply nothing rushed about this production.
I agree, FOX has plenty of time to put a competent FF reboot into the theaters. It's the making money part that looks like to be a problem.

I did a "quick and dirty" financial review a few posts back that I won't go into again . But look at Trank's FF in comparison to Vaughn's XM:FC. Vaughn rebooted a much more successful series and received critical praise. But the film underperformed in comparison to the first trilogy, which likely is why FOX is now rebooting the reboot with DOFP.

Given the track record of the previous FF films, the lack of merchandise and the opening date just 56 days before Avengers 2, I can't see the reboot coming anywhere close to First Class box office numbers. And given the rumors of an onscreen negative zone and a CGI Thing, the budget is likely to exceed Vaughn's film by quite a bit.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm holding out hope that FOX would prefer to reach an agreement with Marvel than put hundreds of millions into this very risky project.