View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #59
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Luke Cage introduced in Avengers 2, Hulk blasted into space

That is a weakness that a lot of minority and female characters have, a lack of a true villain. Willis Stryker is kind of a joke, snake-codename or no. That's why making the Wrecking Crew Cage's personal villains seems like a brilliant idea. AIM, personified by Director George Clinton and/or MODOK/George Tarleton, puts them after him once he escapes... perhaps after foiling the Wrecking Crew's more villainous escape plan. I'm also inclined to get rid of Burnstein, or, at least, relegate him to the last decent person in AIM.

Also, if there's a trial involved, GREAT place to insert Matt Murdock and/or Jennifer Walters.

Anyway, here's my take right now...
  • Carl Lucas is a down on his luck neighborhood guy, trying to do the right thing, but stuck in a big gang that's on the verge of war.
  • Buddy Willis Stryker is his major negative influence, with Reva Connors as his girlfriend.
  • When Reva is threatened, Lucas tries to get out with her, but Willis sets him up and he ends up in prison.
  • He gets saved from prison riff raff/guards by Dirk Garthwaite and Dr. Elliot Franklin, along with Brian Caulsky and Henry Camp form a bit of a clique.
  • We learn this prison is run by AIM who does a bunch of shady illegal stuff but has all the right people paid off. Including, voluntary experiments that will probably kill you, but could get you some prison perks and maybe even a parole hearing. Or maybe make you live forever, so you actually have to serve that triple life sentence.
  • We also see a lot of other AIM experiments/developments, including the MODOK system, the asgardian 'crowbar' and control collars that set up for later things in the film and MCU at large.
  • In the process of volunteering, Carl meets Director George Tarleton, a strange little man with a lot of issues, and a personal interest in him.
  • He also meets Dr. Noah Burnstein, a decent guy, holdover from WWII who Tarleton keeps under wraps.
  • The experiment/power is explained as cell regeneration that removes the strength/durability cap for the human body, and offers a healing factor as well.
  • Carl, and the rest of the Wrecking Crew undergo the experiment, but Carl finds out they are planning to escape and exact their vengeance upon society "and they can't even report us escaped or else they get investigated." So, before the control collars can be locked onto them, Carl foils their escape, but still takes advantage of their plan, to go save Reva.
  • Escaping, Carl finds himself back in New York, manages to catch a glimpse of Iron Man or Captain America in action. Puts on a cheesy yellow outfit and manages to stop a shoot out with the cops. The hostage thanks him, and offers to write him a check. "Make it out to Ca...." looks around at cops nearby. "Make it out to Luke Cage..." Looking at the check inspires him...
  • Next time we see him, he's coming into his old neighborhood, he finds out Reva has been killed due to Stryker's gang actions, he contronts his old friend, who has cultivated an air of mystique as 'Diamondback'
  • Luke Cage takes on the gangs, defeats Stryker and pretty much single handedly fixes his community. He hands out business cards as a Hero for Hire, does tons of pro-bono work, too. Overnight, becoming a sensation, coming to SHIELD attention and media attention and everything.
  • This brings him to the attention of AIM, who dispatches a collar controlled Wrecking Crew to bring him down or in, and they are more than happy to oblige.
  • Wrecker finds Cage's business card, and the Wrecking Crew makes sure he gets plenty of business, setting him up and beating him senseless in unison.
  • Brought back to the prison, Cage is bereft, and with nothing left, goes about his prison duties in a depressed state. He continues working out, using very large things to do so.
  • The Wrecking Crew enacts their master plan, as Enforcers for AIM, to steal the adamantine rod (crowbar-like) that AIM had recovered from Asgard somehow.
  • Bernstein encourages Luke Cage to act, at which point Burnstein helps facilitate an escape, which gets Burnstein killed, and Tarleton crippled.
  • Cage, with a yellow T-Shirt and black jeans, mounts a rescue on his old neigherhood to stop the Wrecking Crew from detonating a bomb there.
  • Cage uses everything he knows about them to throw them off balance, and his superior strength to keep them on edge. He takes on the two minor ones first, at the same time. Then he faces the Dr, whom he bests verbally more than physically before going head to head against Wrecker and his uber crowbar
  • After defeating the Wrecking Crew, SHIELD steps in, and the AIM prison is shut down. We see Cage on trial, thanks to public defender Matthew Murdock and Assistant DA Jennifer Walters is unable to show sufficient evidence that the drugs/setup from the beginning was his, and he is exhonerated from breaking out of prison.
  • Our last shot is Cage, t-shirt and jeans, doing his press conference, just outside the courthouse, introducing himself to the world. "My name is Luke Cage. I'm the people's superhero. I do shootouts, hostage rescues, mad scientists, and world ending apocalypses. Book me now at HeroesforHire.com." "Mr. Cage, Mr. Cage! Did you say Heroes, plural?" "Yeah, I'm taking applications."
  • Boom. End Credits.
  • Post credits, we see, finally Cage opening up a storefront and then casually moving a car that is parked in his parking spot. That's when Fury shows up. Cage declines, for now...

A little weak, kinda like two movies at the moment, but that's what's in my head. I really do like the "I'm taking applications" line at the moment.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 04-19-2013 at 12:42 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote