View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #224
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
A question to all... consider the following hypothetical:

Fox and Marvel studio head honchos find themselves trapped in a room as part of a 'good faith' negotiation. Secret Wars style, if you will.

Each must write a dollar amount on a piece of paper. If Fox's amount is smaller than Marvel's, everyone returns home to the status quo.

If Marvel's is greater than or equal to Fox's, Fox receives the sum they asked for plus half the difference between the two figures. Marvel receives to rights to the Fantastic Four and all associated properties. For example, if Fox's sheet reads $5 and Marvel's reads $7, then Fox goes home with $6 and Marvel gets to reboot FF into the MCU.

Now, my hypothetical question is, assuming the FF rights revert to Marvel, what is your estimate of the two dollar figures?
My thought is that the higher ups at FOX would love a valid reason to avoid pumping $150+ million into a very risky reboot. But they've seen Disney cut checks over over $110 million and $287 million to Paramount and Sony respectively, so they'll be looking at a sizeable check for their film rights. I'll go with $75 million even.

On Marvel's side, it is very difficult to monetize the worth of the FF to the MCU. But I am certain Feige and Whedon can sell Iger on the value of Dr. Doom, Galactus and the First Family as they move into Phase III and beyond. Under the right hands and in the right environment, the FF can potentially be another tentpole franchise for Disney and sell a lot of Thing hands and stretchable Mr. Fantastics. There is also the psychic benefits to Marvel and their fanbase from bringing the FF back home - can you imagine the cheers when/if this is announced at Comicon or a D23 Expo? I'm thinking Disney may overbid, and put up $75,000,000.

And, we're done. Easy, Peasy Lemon Squeezy.