View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #160
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Which I find a weird argument, all the weirder for that I'm the one having to counter it ( I more often have to argue against people trying to poo-poo modern military power ). What, exactly, could military forces have done other than kill some number of the Chitauri infantry at the expense of high casualties amongst their own?

-The leviathans were sufficiently armored that only the heaviest firepower amongst the Avengers could actually take them out, I can't see any conventional ordinance doing much.

-The flying chariots were almost as fast as Iron Man and capable of maneuvering at speed through the streets; combined with being smaller than normal aircraft by a lot, I'm kind of dubious of how effective OTH anti-air missiles would be, even if they did leave NYC.

-And the actual Chitauri infantry themselves could be killed by gunfire and arrows, yes. . . when applied to their unarmored face or other weak points, by people of sufficiently insane skill. I have no doubt that mass automatic weapons fire could do the same, albeit less efficiently. Unfortunately, the Chitauri are still stronger, more mobile, more durable, carrying heavier firepower, and possessing stronger morale than the troops opposing them.

What, exactly, would the US military deploy that would be particularly game-changing?
Vice Pres Dick Cheney? hahahahaha

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote