View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: If the Guauntlet fits, you must admit .... it's time for Thanos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Y'know what screw it... I take back everything I just said. You nullify any credibility your statement had by saying Paste-Pot Pete could follow Thanos.

That is ridiculous.
It's a joke, obviously, in case you didn't realize.
The point is that the threat can be *significantly* lower than the previous film's, and still be compelling as long as the story is well-written and absorbing.

Take 007. You seem to think that the Craig series is built on an escalating threat level, and I find that fascinating that you think so. What's your reasoning on that? Not to be snarky, I genuinely am wondering; because to me, it was clear that Skyfall was intended to be the most intimate and personal Bond film ever --- i.e., Bond literally going back home and defending himself and his boss from a rival co-worker who'd gone rogue.

And take it even farther back over a vast span of 007 movies....I'd say the biggest threat level Bond ever faced was Drax in Moonraker, when the series went all sci-fi and threatened to destroy the whole world and all life on it. Hell, the very next film, Bond was facing down what? A corporate sleaze who wanted to blow up San Francisco.

The threat level "stepped down" significantly from Raiders to Temple of Doom; from Star Wars to Empire; from Star Trek The Motion Picture to Wrath of Khan. There's plenty of other examples that illustrate that a smaller threat actually made a *better* story than the predecessor with the higher threat level.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote