View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #103
Adamantium Man
Just Another Metal Person

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

A (spoiler-free) tumblr review I quite liked.

Quote:
Things I'm allowed to say about Iron Man 3
Yesterday I was in Paris. Itís a long way from where I live so it was quite an adventure. 13:00 to 00:00 we had a marathon with Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Avengers and Iron Man 3. Yes, april 20th, worldís first public premiere in Paris. Awesome.
So hereís what Iím allowed to say about Iron Man 3.

Iíve been a huge fan of Shane Blackís way of putting his characters in desperate situations since I first watched Lethal Weapon about 5 years ago. I loved the dialogs between the characters and the issues Black isnít afraid to raise in his scripts. Being old, being weak, being scarred by whatever you had to live through, being afraid of what youíve become, all those characters he plays with are damaged goods.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang has to be one of my three favorite movies of all time.
So when I heard he was in charge of Iron Man 3, I was very surprised. Super-hero stories are not exactly Blackís style, but then again Tony Stark has flaws of his own. Blackís more into buddy-movies than comic books adaptations, but Stark and Rhodey have an interesting relationship that has not been developped yet. Blackís more of a thriller writer than an adventure one, but there are ways to make a super hero movie feel like a thriller. So I thought, we should trust him. He might surprise us.
The movie surprised me alright. Shane Black didnít.
Donít get me wrong, I loved every single bit of it and would watch it again a thousand times without hesitation. What Iím saying is, that movie is Shane Blackís take on a pop culture icon. It shouldnít be regarded as a sequel to Iron Man or Avengers. Itís an alien to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. An outsider. And a fantastic movie.
If youíre still reading, it means I donít have to tell you to go and see it because you already want to.
Donít expect a Marvel movie, you wonít get one. What youíll get though, are great and very human characters, great CGI, great actors, a great soundtrack, great relationships between characters, all in all itís got a small budget movieís soul with a blockbusterís budget. There are a thousand memorable lines in that movie, and even if youíre not really into Shane Blackís style, youíll still laugh. Because he is genuinely funny.
I loved it.
I canít wait til wednesday to see it again.
I would love to discuss it further but Iím not allowed to until tuesday night. And I promised Iíd keep my tumblr spoiler-free. So anyway, itís become my favorite MCU movie. Yes, better than Avengers. Itís just that good.
source