Thread: Why the 1970's?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Default Re: Why the 1970's?

Alright, let's take a look at that angle...

So Singer was scouting DC...

If it was just going to be in the oval office he wouldn't need to scout the area. So what else is in D.C. and applies to 1973?

By the way, does anyone remember where specifically the year 1973 came from? I've been reading (and using) 1973, but not sure where this came from...

Anyway, Watergate seems very relevant here...

"The Watergate scandal was a political scandal that occurred in the United States in the 1970s as a result of the June 17, 1972 break-in at the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate office complex in Washington, D.C., and the Nixon administration's attempted cover-up of its involvement."

As perfect as the Watergate incident could be for the movie, it happened in 1972, making the question of where 1973 came from all the more important.

The "burglars" from Watergate were tried in January 1973, so this could be it...

In March of 73 the scandal really blew wide open when one of the burglars alleged perjury and pressure to remain silent. This led to Nixon having his aide tell the Attorney General that nobody in the White House had any knowledge of the break-in.

In April 13 Nixon was informed that a number of his people had been implicated, and some were cooperating with the investigation.

This all led to numerous White House "resignations" and a new Attorney General.

The new Attorney General appointed a special council to investigate Watergate, which ultimately led to Nixon's 1973 "I am not a crook" speach.

And couldn't you just see Nixon giving that speech in this movie, after the whole mutant caused Watergate scandal gets blown open?

In Singer wanted Nixon then Vietnam and Watergate just seem too perfect for the reason. I'm still holding out on my X Envelope comcept, but really, that was just the cause and affect for Watergate...

Does anyone know where specifically Singer was scouting in D.C.? Was it around the Democratic National Headquarters and/or Watergate?

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote