View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #96
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Iron Man 3 vs Man Of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
How will it almost certainly be a better film? Based on a 2 min trailer? Speilberg isn't directing this thing is he....? I liked the trailer as much as the next guy, but how about we actually see these films befiore making such proclamations. It's FAAAR from certain at this point. The only thing certain is people painting their subjective viewpionts as fact.

Critics aren't going to give a damn about some plot twist (and I'm sure most fans won't either if it works). If anything, critics may like it more. It won't be the breaking point for the film, that's for sure.
As you sarcastically indicate, the talent behind something is a strong indicator of quality. True, it's not absolutely certain, but MOS has a better story person on story (Nolan) and a better action guy on action (Snyder) and a theme that's deeper and much more far reaching than IM's tech thriller character study. It has notably higher quality actors, with the exceptions of RDJ and Kingsley when compared to the lead hero and villain, and MOS has a higher budget. One of those things would have to be mis-utilized in order for MOS not to be a better film overall, and there's no indication of that happening, but you're right, it is possible and it is subjective. Some people think Superman Returns was superior to Batman Begins. There's nothing to change that, but I'm still going to say Batman Begins was obviously a better film, as though it were a fact, because by any objective standard, assuming such exists, it is.

I won't comment much on the plot twist, because I don't want to know any more about it than I already do. If it works or not, critics will certainly comment on such an important story point, that's their job. And while it may not break the film, if it is anticlimactic/contrived, like the one in TDKR, it will cause the film to be less well received.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote