View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #57
moviefreak
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
15/70 IMAX for STID makes sense because it had scenes (like TDK and TDKR) that were actually filmed in 15/70 IMAX. Thatís not the case for MOS (as far as I know).
Ah yes, I think that you're probably correct. I got confused by the report last year of a helicopter with a camera mount on the set of Smallville. While it may look like IMAX camera mount, I think that it's just the convential 35mm camera.

MOS still have to be converted to 70mm for showing in true IMAX cinema. With the exception of a few, most are now digital. I'm sure that you probably know what this mean - 35mm digitally converted at a very high resolution, capturing every detail of the original 35mm print including imperfections. So they will have to use computer algorithms to adjust and fine tune it.

Usually, the complete re-mastered film is transfered to 70mm print, but I think that in the case of BFI IMAX it will be digital. So, it is a long winded and convulted process. I saw my first IMAXin 1980 in Toronto, so I have been aware of how different it is compared with conventional cinema in term of visual & audio quality.