View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #352
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Who would you let Joss Whedon kill in Avengers 2?

And if Jerry Bruckheimer and Johnny Depp or any other HugeName and HugeName decide to make a female action movie, it'll do gangbusters. The problem is, there aren't really many HugeName female stars, none of them considered action stars.

If Angelina Jolie and James Cameron decided to do a superhero film, it would get done, also likely to the tune of 3 billion dollars. This doesn't certify the same result for, say Zack Snyder and say, Emily Browning. Maybe Charlize Theron or Jennifer Lawrence and a mega-director could do it. Both Bruckheimer and Depp had already pulled down a couple billion dollars each before making something that couldn't work work. A female superhero, if it was going to be wildly successful and not just barely successful like Tomb Raider, would need similar talent in front of and behind the camera.

Or they could just base it on a wildly successful and beloved book series. Black Widow, Captain Marvel and Young Avengers are not that. On a total side note, as female characters do and flourish a lot better in print than in visual media, it might be interesting if someone did a serious book series on Captain Marvel, or Black Widow. I'd enjoy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
See the hunger games was a series of books that already had an established audience. Which I think helped it out immensely. I had no desire to see the movie but my girl had read the books so we went. It was a decent movie but nothing I couldn't have waited too see at home.
Exactly. No one 'threw their money' at a very popular book series that happens to star a girl, and is, despite some okay action and a political game problem, a love story at heart, as that is how the story is resolved. No one is being brave when they Make Iron Man or Hunger Games. Expecting people to spend money 'bravely' is pretty silly.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 04-23-2013 at 07:50 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote