View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #58
J.Howlett

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
The real test is actually going to be Thor 2 IMO. I'm curious to see what sort of Avengers 'bump' it's going to get. IM3 was always going to be a big movie regardless of its quality, if Thor 2 generates similar numbers and critical response I think it's a fair statement to say the MCU is for the near future in good state. I'm suspicious though coz it's a bit like comparing apple and oranges, IM was already big before Avengers, Thor was a moderate success, I can see a bump but I'm not so certain it's going to be a significant one, the first trailer didn't do anything to make me think otherwise. One thing I did notice today was the after credit sequence. The cinema was about 80% full today yet only about a dozen people stayed for the post-credit bit, so I'm not so certain the MCU is as ingrained in people thoughts as some would hope.
While the Thor teaser floored me to ****, I can definitely see your reasoning with your assessment. Iron Man launched it. The Thor and Captain America sequels are the ones that will either sustain it and push it forward or....

Do you think this has anything to do with the fact that general audiences' patience with the cinematic universe was rewarded with last year's Avengers and now the anticipating for the solo films won't be as much?

Is it possible that audiences just now want to see Avengers' films and don't really care about the lead up to them?

I think it's a fair question to ask.

As for Stark's arc being finished with how this film ends, you can make the argument that it also felt finished at the end of Avengers....