View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #931
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I doubt that would change anything. People aren't really going to go, "Oh, he wears his underwear on the outside! I'm never going watch or read anything about Superman because of that!" Any problems he has in terms of popularity or how many people want to see films about him doesn't stem from his trunks or not. Like I said, if MOS or any film had the trunks and advertised a pretty awesome and entertaining film, people would go see it. I mean, is there evidence that the New 52 has caused a significant increase in sales/popularity for Superman-related stuff and still maintaining it to this day because they removed the trunks?
Well, every single person that's not into comics I've talked to have considered giving MoS a shot once they saw the 1st still (the one where he's in front of the vault). Granted, neither Athens nor my social circles (online or physical) equal the rest of the world, but the loss of trunks does make a difference.

And it's not just the trunks per se, it's what they also signify: Another version. Now, I get your point: "What if we had gotten this 'another' version, but also kept the trunks?" And my answer to that is, you need a visual topping to your do-over. And when it comes to Superman, the public has 3 things to say:
1.He wears his underwear outside his suit.
2.He's a goodie 2-shoes.
3.He's too powerful.

And it looks like MoS is addressing all 3 of those things in one way or another. But the trunks are the most direct way to tell cynics "Yeah, he's different this time around", while keeping the morals and core of the character. And I honestly believe this is going to make some kind of difference to the BO, silly/funny as it may sound to you.

Last edited by Gianakin_; 04-25-2013 at 01:36 AM.