View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #712
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I have a feeling he may be but he's hard to read at times. Sometimes can't tell if he's being snarky or serious.
Watching the videos I think Whedon was dead serious.

Reading over the last few pages, it's astonishing to see the gyrations people went through to try to deny that Whedon was referring to Wanda & Pietro, or to shoehorn other characters into that "brother & sister act" description. There is only one brother and sister act from back in the day as far as The Avengers are concerned, and that is the Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver. It damn sure isn't Hank and Jan.

Things can definitely change down the line as future drafts are written, but this news fills me with glee. Wanda has always been my favorite superheroine, with Jan a close second. The Scarlet Witch's unique powers make her the true female powerhouse in Marvel's catalog of characters. Adding her to The Avengers' roster won't merely duplicate the powers and backgrounds of the other heroes, who mainly rely on strength or physical weapons and are associated with the military or are spies. Wanda can give the team a massive power boost and visual dynamics on screen.

The fact that the Scarlet Witch is not a knockoff of a preexisting male character is also a plus as far as I am concerned. Wanda is her own person, with her own powers, strengths and weaknesses. The connection to Magneto in the comics is less a concern to me than to others because I remember when he was just a sadistic bastard who virtually enslaved Wanda & Pietro, before their relationship was regrettably retconned. With Whedon in control of her cinematic destiny, there is less cause to fear that Wanda will be turned into a pathetic psychopath in the MCU as she was in the comics.