View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #947
Mike22
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Back to the trunks again huh? Good, its always an interesting thing to debate.
For me, I'll always have a soft spot for the classic suit, and I still believe to this day that no one has ever done justice to that suit in live action. Not Reeve not the Superboy suit from the 80's, not the Cain one and most certainly not the Routh suit.

Technically it shouldn't be hard at all, I mean, you're trying to bring to life a comic book character right? Then try your best to keep it as faithful as possible. But wait, the studio providing the money also has a say, and they insist the trunks are a turn off to the GA, therefor the Director has to compromise.
Let me tell you guys something, ALL they had to do to include the trunks was to darken them so they melted more with the rest of the costume, because in ultra bright mode they really do look out of place. With a new smart design, they could have easily included them. And you guys wanna know what really stings? Snyder described the Krypton civilization as "ancient" with "rusted technology" or something like that. If there was ever a time to include the trunks, now would have been it, because they could just have explained that it was part of a thousand year old tradition/culture whatever. Obviously the design would have to be slightly so they don't appear directly like briefs and design wise, I believe it could have been achieved.

PS: I outright Love the MOS suit, so nothing against that in any way, just trying to defend this particular aspect of Supermans classic costume.