Thread: Oblivion
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #886
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
I'd be okay with not being surprised by it if it had anything of substance to say while it got there. It throws all these potentially cool ideas at the wall, and then does nothing with them. What does this movie have to say about the human condition or about society or about culture? I suppose you could make some very, very broad statements based on the plot, but those ideas wouldn't be deep at all. It plays in the waters of movies like Blade Runner, Moon, The Matrix, but it never leaves the shallow end and submerges itself. It's window dressing. I wouldn't be so concerned with what was going on thematically if the movie didn't take itself so seriously. I'm not looking for Bresson-deep meditation either, just some indication that Kosinski has something on his mind other than pretty pictures.
This, a thousand times this. I might have even been able to deal with the deadly dull pacing if the movie had something to say.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.